Saturday, November 16, 2013

[Electric Boats] RE: practicality ?

 

Hello, Dependability? Practicality? Both, I guess, but more importantly, I fear some unforeseen calamity in which my batteries discharge to a level from which they cannot be restored.  Is that a realistic concern? They thought of flushing the battery investment down the toilet is very frightening. Again, thanks for assistance. This is all new to me. John



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <sirdarnell@...> wrote:

Actually a small solar panel just big enough to overcome self-discharge rates wouldn't need anything but a diode to prevent battery power back flowing to the panel.



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <dominic.amann@...> wrote:

A correctly sized solar panel with a suitable charge controller can provide safe maintenance charging for most battery setups without a hookup.


On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <jlwuja@...> wrote:
 

Good Day,

 

I'm in the thought process of an electric repower of my boat. Most everything says I should convert based on numbers. One of the considerations, absenteeism, just hasn't been addressed in the sources that I've utilized.

 

So here's the question, if an boat owner can't visit a boat for periods of time that could run up to two months on occasion coupled with more frequent absences lasting several weeks, is there a better battery choice to be made?

 

In another two years or so, I should hope to be able to pay much more (almost daily) and long periods of absenteeism would virtually be eliminated.

 

Should I wait to do the repower? I have a perfectly working diesel presently.

 

Thanks for your informed responses.  John




--

Dominic Amann
M 416-270-4587

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment