Monday, April 22, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: introducing myself

 

I'll be there. Thanks for the invite Tom.

Quoting Tom <boat_works@yahoo.com>:

> Hi Gary,
> Welcome aboard!
>
> Are you planning on attending the Olympia Wooden Boat Fair May
> 11-12? I expect there to be two electric boats there this year.
>
> My friends Kerry and Helen will have their Owens cruiser, and I'll
> be there with "Grace" my electric launch. Both of use would be happy
> to show you our DIY installations.
>
> -Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "totteninlet" <gpb@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hello electricboats group members,
>>
>> My name is Gary Brown.
>>
>> I joined your group yesterday evening. I've lived in Olympia
>> Washington for 23 years off Totten Inlet, working in Information
>> Technology - mostly state government stuff.
>>
>> I have selected various attachments - wife (practically perfect in
>> every way), 2 teens (mostly well behaved), 2 dogs (tail-wagging
>> variety), 2 cats (hmmm), mortgage (still paying), motorcycle (honda
>> cb750), 5 kayaks (whitewater and sea), sailboats (12 foot Force5
>> and a 32 foot cutter rigged sloop), generators (3 for backup home
>> power)...
>>
>> I learned to sail off the coast of Cornwall in England at
>> summer-camp when I was 12 and 13 years old. Dad bought us a
>> sailboat to play with during my teenage years. I developed real
>> sea legs commercial salmon fishing in Alaska in my early/mid 20's.
>> So, at 40 something I got into more serious sailing.
>>
>> I have an engineering degree, so I'm dangerous - you know - willing
>> to multiply numbers together and think it means something :) throw
>> a logarithmic graph in there and I'm a kid in a sandbox - and
>> dangerous.
>>
>> In December I was informed that my '73 marinized diesel engine was
>> experiencing severe compression problems on one cylinder - for me
>> that's time to re-power. And that's how I arrived here. Who,
>> really, wants to maintain a stinky diesel engine inside a sailboat.
>> For goodness sakes its a sailboat.
>>
>> I'm glad that there are electric options now. I can't really
>> imagine when state-of-the-art was hemp rope and burlap sails and
>> scurvy.
>>
>> When I was 10 I remember getting shocked messing around with a 240V
>> socket. I've never been the same since. I'm sure it has
>> influenced my decision. Worrisome - yes.
>>
>> I am purchasing an AMeP 7.5kw kit to repower. I'll be DIYing most
>> of the install, with some help from a friend who's good with
>> fiberglass - for securing a few hundred pounds of VRLA batteries
>> below deck.
>>
>> I will spend some time reading historical posts. I like the humor
>> and level of discussion between group members.
>>
>> Thanks for being here.
>>
>> Gary in Oly
>>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment