Monday, April 22, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] introducing myself

 

Thanks for the encouragement Mike, and for the links showing how you
went about it.

Quoting Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>:

> Gary
>
> Welcome aboard! Lot's of info and knowledge from various people in
> this group as you'll find out if you hang around here long enough.
> As for myself I'm about to start my sixth season with electric
> propulsion and never looked back. One of the best things I ever did.
> You might find some of the steps I went through to get to electric
> propulsion helpful.
> From removing the diesel engine
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2008/03/removing-westerbeke.html
>
>
> To the install of my electric propulsion system:
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2008/05/going-electric.html
>
>
> With your background the EP install should be a piece of cake.
>
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: totteninlet <gpb@elmoid.org>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:43 AM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] introducing myself
>
>
>
>  
> Hello electricboats group members,
>
> My name is Gary Brown.
>
> I joined your group yesterday evening. I've lived in Olympia
> Washington for 23 years off Totten Inlet, working in Information
> Technology - mostly state government stuff.
>
> I have selected various attachments - wife (practically perfect in
> every way), 2 teens (mostly well behaved), 2 dogs (tail-wagging
> variety), 2 cats (hmmm), mortgage (still paying), motorcycle (honda
> cb750), 5 kayaks (whitewater and sea), sailboats (12 foot Force5 and
> a 32 foot cutter rigged sloop), generators (3 for backup home
> power)...
>
> I learned to sail off the coast of Cornwall in England at
> summer-camp when I was 12 and 13 years old. Dad bought us a
> sailboat to play with during my teenage years. I developed real sea
> legs commercial salmon fishing in Alaska in my early/mid 20's. So,
> at 40 something I got into more serious sailing.
>
> I have an engineering degree, so I'm dangerous - you know - willing
> to multiply numbers together and think it means something :) throw
> a logarithmic graph in there and I'm a kid in a sandbox - and
> dangerous.
>
> In December I was informed that my '73 marinized diesel engine was
> experiencing severe compression problems on one cylinder - for me
> that's time to re-power. And that's how I arrived here. Who,
> really, wants to maintain a stinky diesel engine inside a sailboat.
> For goodness sakes its a sailboat.
>
> I'm glad that there are electric options now. I can't really
> imagine when state-of-the-art was hemp rope and burlap sails and
> scurvy.
>
> When I was 10 I remember getting shocked messing around with a 240V
> socket. I've never been the same since. I'm sure it has influenced
> my decision. Worrisome - yes.
>
> I am purchasing an AMeP 7.5kw kit to repower. I'll be DIYing most
> of the install, with some help from a friend who's good with
> fiberglass - for securing a few hundred pounds of VRLA batteries
> below deck.
>
> I will spend some time reading historical posts. I like the humor
> and level of discussion between group members.
>
> Thanks for being here.
>
> Gary in Oly
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment