Saturday, April 20, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: introducing myself

 

Hi Gary,
Welcome aboard!

Are you planning on attending the Olympia Wooden Boat Fair May 11-12? I expect there to be two electric boats there this year.

My friends Kerry and Helen will have their Owens cruiser, and I'll be there with "Grace" my electric launch. Both of use would be happy to show you our DIY installations.

-Tom

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "totteninlet" <gpb@...> wrote:
>
> Hello electricboats group members,
>
> My name is Gary Brown.
>
> I joined your group yesterday evening. I've lived in Olympia Washington for 23 years off Totten Inlet, working in Information Technology - mostly state government stuff.
>
> I have selected various attachments - wife (practically perfect in every way), 2 teens (mostly well behaved), 2 dogs (tail-wagging variety), 2 cats (hmmm), mortgage (still paying), motorcycle (honda cb750), 5 kayaks (whitewater and sea), sailboats (12 foot Force5 and a 32 foot cutter rigged sloop), generators (3 for backup home power)...
>
> I learned to sail off the coast of Cornwall in England at summer-camp when I was 12 and 13 years old. Dad bought us a sailboat to play with during my teenage years. I developed real sea legs commercial salmon fishing in Alaska in my early/mid 20's. So, at 40 something I got into more serious sailing.
>
> I have an engineering degree, so I'm dangerous - you know - willing to multiply numbers together and think it means something :) throw a logarithmic graph in there and I'm a kid in a sandbox - and dangerous.
>
> In December I was informed that my '73 marinized diesel engine was experiencing severe compression problems on one cylinder - for me that's time to re-power. And that's how I arrived here. Who, really, wants to maintain a stinky diesel engine inside a sailboat. For goodness sakes its a sailboat.
>
> I'm glad that there are electric options now. I can't really imagine when state-of-the-art was hemp rope and burlap sails and scurvy.
>
> When I was 10 I remember getting shocked messing around with a 240V socket. I've never been the same since. I'm sure it has influenced my decision. Worrisome - yes.
>
> I am purchasing an AMeP 7.5kw kit to repower. I'll be DIYing most of the install, with some help from a friend who's good with fiberglass - for securing a few hundred pounds of VRLA batteries below deck.
>
> I will spend some time reading historical posts. I like the humor and level of discussion between group members.
>
> Thanks for being here.
>
> Gary in Oly
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment