Monday, April 22, 2013

RE: [Electric Boats] Electrolisis on the motor wire studs?

 

Hey Chuck, FYI, electrolysis is a process that happens to a liquid electrolyte when you pass a current through it.  What you probably have a problem with is corrosion.  After you replace the studs (I am not at all familiar with the device you are using so I have no idea if they are replaceable in the field or not) be sure the wire and connectors are completely clean and snug them up to a torque spec from the motor manufacturer.  Then coat the connection with CorrosionX or similar product.  If these connections were at all loose before this could have cause them to destruct as well.

 

 

Ron Micjan

ron@tmishop.com

503 632 5553

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of CHAS
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 5:26 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Electrolisis on the motor wire studs?

 

 

Hi all,

last August, I installed an ME 0709 brush type DC motor in my Privateer 26 sailboat. I use 4 x 12v lead acid batteries. I have a Noco Genius 4 bank, 40 amp onboard charger that is hooked to shore power.

I have been simply running the system on 24v through a reversing contactor. It works fine getting in and out of the marina, but I decided to install a controller to get more power. I wired in a 48v alltrex yesterday. When I test ran the motor it worked perfectly. Slow start, and ramped up to full speed with lots of power. I finished mounting everything and cleaned up the wiring, etc. I tried the motor one more time for a few seconds, and when I tried reverse, The motor stopped. I checked all around for a loose wire, and found the cable to the - stud was loose. I could also move the + side if I tried. Both studs broke off right where the wires attached, as soon as I applied torque to them.

Anyone have this happen? Can I remove what's left of the old studs and screw in new ones? What is causing this, and how do I prevent it in the future?

Chuck

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment