Friday, April 1, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: LiFe battery

 

Thanks for the Winston/Thundersky lead, Tom.
I didn't think Thundersky was available.
It is all about weight.
I'll follow up on that in another post.

John

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <boat_works@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi John,
> The high power density, low Peukert effect losses, high charge/discharge rates, and (projected) high cycle life of lithium comes at a high cost.
>
> If you need these characteristics, they might make economic sense.
> But not every electric boater needs to spend the bucks for this level of performance.
>
> You can do much better than the price you were quoted.
> You'll find that 4 ea of 3.2V 200AH Winston ( ex-Thundersky) cells will weigh about 64 lbs for about $750, plus shipping.
>
>
> -Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "john_casperson" <john_casperson@> wrote:
> >
> > The target weight for a boat I am constructing is 300 lbs, so it can be dragged up on the beach.
> >
> > I asked a vendor for a quote on a 12V 200 Ah Life battery. He asked what I wanted it for. I told him to replace a pair of Wal-mart group 29 deep cycle batteries and save 100 pounds in weight. He then recommended
> >
> > "My take on your project would be to use (1) 12V / 30Ah LiFeBATT Lithium prismatic cell battery. Cost = $ 550.00 plus $150 shipping. Weight = 13 LBS."
> >
> > A 12V 45Ah lead acid battery weighs the same as what he quoted, and only costs 1/5 to 1/4 as much. If I wanted woefully inadequate capacity, I'd do that.
> >
> > What are these batteries for?
> >
> > John Casperson
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment