Monday, March 6, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Recommendations for a windmill/charge controller?

Imho wind mills are not worth their investment unless you go to real high latitudes. I have mppt boost controllers so you don't have to put a lot of solar panels in series to charge your batteries.
I have these working fine now for almost 3 years. I must admit they produce a lot of electrical noise and interfere with my incoming ais signal. My boat came with a wind generator which can be taken apart, and I have also used this solar charger icm with the wind generator. This only works from 20 kts onwards tho and the wind generator maxes out at 100 watts anyway which is probably at about 30 knots or more. It's the amp air 100. If you don't have space for fixed panels on your boat maybe foldable ones would help out. I have 2x 200 watt foldable ones as spare or extra and they work really well. If I have in total 5 of these mppt solar chargers with all sorts of different panels. Hope this helps

Op ma 6 mrt. 2023 18:29 schreef Ryan Sweet <ryan@ryansweet.org>:
Hello!

I have a 30' Rawson Ketch based in Bellingham, WA. Thunderstruck 10k and 800ah 48v traction with 800ah 12v house.

I'm interested in finding a good windmill for some assistance in charging while at anchor (can they be safely run while underway?)….

I have a victron 48v solar charge controller (but I struggle to find any good spot on this boat to locate panels).  Can I use this to charge from a windmill? It seems like most systems are sold as a complete package and designed to charge 12v house banks. I'd like to charge the traction battery directly. I can charge my 48v from the 12v using the buck converter or the inverter and ac charger but it's not very efficient.

Any recommendations about windmills?




_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32266) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment