Thursday, March 23, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Recommendation for 48 v inboard motor + generator.

I'll second the suggestion for the Thunderstruck 12kW kit.  I used that in my Pearson 10M (12,400 lbs) with great success.  With the 10kW motor I would be running at 70-8% for standard cruise.   It's more like 50-60% with the 12kW.  It's not using less power but it is at a more moderate load for the components in the system.  Also I have more reserve power for the occasional needs (like a choppy entrance).  The 12kW is liquid cooled with adds some complexity but I think it's the only way to get reasonable sustained cruising speed in a boat this size or larger.  If you're content with being constrained to 3-4 knots then the 10kW might do.  But you'll be pushing it hard to get more speed if needed. 

If you already have the AGM batteries then by all means use them.  If not don't waste your money.  Go straight to LiFePo4.  Over the lifetime of the batteries they will be cheaper.  And your usable capacity (and range) will be almost double for the same size AH bank.    I built my own 48v from 16 cells in series.  There are a lot more off-the-shelf options around now.  But the cost savings would still lead me to build.   See details on my battery here:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive_battery.htm

Lots of details on my installation here including component choices, reduction drive, cooling system, costs, performance...
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive.htm


I got a 2nd 12kW motor to use as a generator with a 3cyl Kubota diesel I have (18hp) but have not built the genset yet.  The diesel is very compact and I figured I could get a 10-12kW 48VDC generator from the combo.  After 2 seasons of use I think a smaller genset would do fine.  Maybe 5-6kW.  I could motor at decent cruising speed with that.   Your use may be different.   Genset info:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/diesel_genset.htm


I like to think of the electric drive system in terms of limits.  You run into limits everywhere in the process.  Understanding them will guide you in the selection of components.  I have tried to organize my thoughts on limits here:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive_limits.htm


Good luck, we're all counting on you...

Dan Pfeiffer




On 2023-03-22 6:24 pm, julienweiller via groups.io wrote:

Greetings! 

Looking for recommendations to go hybrid (series, not parallel) .

I will need a 48 v electric propulsion plus adequate diesel generator/range extender for a 15000 pound full keel 30 footer sailboat, 24”6“ waterline, hull speed 6.5 kn (Baba 30).  

Getting rid of actual engine, a 3 cylinders 30 hp diesel.

Plan is to start with 4 x 12v 150 Ah  AGM (just enough to go dock down the basin) 

Switch to high kWh lithium in the future for ocean sailing  

Will also add solar to the equation. 


I am looking for a diesel generator/range extender that could pretty much keep the batteries up while motoring. 

So, that’s a lot of questions at once:
1 motor ?
2 compatible AGM/lithium controller ?
3 diesel generator?
4 solar? 
5 lithium batteries?
6 compatible with all the above +220/110 charger?
7 BMS added if not battery integrated?

Sorry if this is a repeat question but it’s 2023 and it seems that technology is fast evolving!

Pretty please: no 96 nor 72 volts suggestions  I am sticking with 48, 52 max.


All best and in advance, much thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment