Thursday, March 23, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Recommendation for 48 v inboard motor + generator.

[Edited Message Follows]

I went with the Thunderstruck 10Kw kit in my Kirby 30, it's working great.  The boat's lighter than yours (~6,000 lbs) so you'd probably want to go with their 12KW kit, the only issue is that it's liquid cooled.

I'm using 3 Dakota Lithium 48V/96 Ah batteries with Victron MPPT controllers and 6 110W panels on my deck when I'm not using the boat.  I race the boat 1-2 nights/week and daysail one day on the weekend, I found that I only needed to charge the batteries once per month.

I went with LIFEPO4 since I use my boat mostly for racing and was not into taking the weight penalty.  When we brought the boat from Bowmanville to Toronto in light winds last year we used about 70% of the battery capacity (motoring at 4-5 knots for 9 hours in flat water).  Unless you're doing a ton of long distance cruising, I'd hold off on the diesel generator.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32276) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment