Sunday, August 7, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Floating PV Hazard Potential?

Thanks for replies and cautions, but I agree with cpcanoesailor that heavy weather is not a great concern. I could easily take it onboard if necessary. I do that now when I leave the boat unattended for any length of time. I only plan to use such a system when in my marina slip. Tied securely to the pier, I would think having almost zero windage and somewhat 'glued' to the water surface, this panel would be less likely to be damaged in high winds than the others around that are mounted on decks and davits.

I'm more concerned with the electrical aspect and what the consequences might be if a critter got curious and pulled out the connector or found the cable insulation to be tasty. Is there any way that those open circuit 21.6 volts in the wrong place could be hazardous to boats nearby or someone in the water? The corrosion possibility mentioned is the area that needs to be investigated. Not so worried about my boat, but other boats nearby that are conventionally wired and configured (through-hulls and prop shafts, etc.). (I am in Lake Superior so the electrolyte is not so conductive.)

The Army's floating panels - and most of the similar projects - require floating structures. The literature I've read often cites this aspect to be the main drawback. The foam flotation method reduces the infrastructure to a large extent - and reduces my mounting problems to zero. It also produces a lower temperature panel - albeit at the expense of zero inclination. For my short summer season, I don't expect a flat orientation to appreciably limit my battery charging capability.

Good point on the controller. I will have to look into the MPPT specs. I assumed being a solar panel controller, it would have the necessary fail-safes. Probably best not to assume. I have the two cables from the solar panel going to a polarized bulkhead connector on the cabin wall. That is two-wire connected to the solar input on the MPPT and the MPPT battery output directly to negative bus and to battery selector switch. I have nothing connected to the MPPT output terminals. For now, I plan to disconnect the charging system when using the Minn-Kota.

No comments:

Post a Comment