Saturday, August 6, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Floating PV Hazard Potential?

Maybe if you're boating on a lake---better might be to consider towing a dinghy, stretching out 1 or more frameless light-weight solar panels and storing some of your things in the bottom of the dinghy for ballast.  I doubt ABYC addresses how to connect up (and ground) a solar dinghy towed behind an electric sailor…

 

From: electricboats@groups.io [mailto:electricboats@groups.io] On Behalf Of Walter Pearson
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 12:01 PM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: [electricboats] Floating PV Hazard Potential?

 

My 19 foot sailboat uses a Minn-Kota Endura 55 supplied by two 100Ah AGM batteries. I do have shore power, but would like to be as self-sufficient as possible. I have a semi-flexible 100 watt solar panel, but finding a good method for mounting it has eluded me. I also have a Victron MPPT solar controller, but it has not had anything connected to it for several years.

I recently read an article describing arrays of floating solar panels, so wondered if that concept could be my mounting - or non-mounting - solution. I don't know about the long-range suitability of my components for being partially or totally submerged, but the initial test showed promise and the batteries appeared to be charging normally. The marina staff took notice, but did not sound an alarm.

I would appreciate any input from those with more experience as to whether there would be any hazards this system might produce. With an exercise mat bonded to the backside, it floats in my slip next to the boat and I have no connection to shore power. I previously tested it at a beach with some wave action. Water washing over the panel did not appear to reduce the voltage output appreciably. Not a problem within the marina, but this could be important if used at anchor or on a mooring.

Other particulars: Suaoki module, rated 17.8V at 5.62A; Voc 21.6V; Isc 5.97A.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment