Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Motor stopped, then was fine…. Any thoughts?

I've experienced a similar situation that I attributed to overheating.

> On Aug 4, 2021, at 01:46, Ryan Sweet <ryan@ryansweet.org> wrote:
>
> Thunderstruck 10kw kit, me1917, sevcon Gen4, 600ah lifepo4 bank….
>
> So I was enjoying a wonderful sail today, left the marina with a full charge, used maybe 8ah getting out, and sailed around, no motor, for a couple of hours. At a certain point I turned into the wind to stop the boat and change sail configuration. After getting settled I started the motor to help get back on a good course and get some distance from a couple large boats coming my way. I had the throttle at about 80a. it ran for a minute or so and then stopped, throttle still on. I tried turning it up, nothing. At this juncture I couldn't really troubleshoot because the wind was picking up and there was a fair amount of other traffic, so I sailed further out in the bay until there was room and turned into the wind to stop again. I looked at the voltage on the victron, 52.6v. I looked at the capacity meter built into the BMS, 52.8v and it read full (it's not super precise). The indicator light on the sevcon was solid green (no error). without thinking clearly about process of elimination I turned the system off at the key switch, and back on, and tried the throttle and it was fine. I changed my plans for the day (decided to stay close to home port, sailed a couple of more hours, checking the motor at various intervals, and then intentionally motoring at full throttle about 30m and low throttle 10-15m to see if it happened again, it all worked fine (as it has on every other voyage).
>
> When I got back I checked the belt, shaft, all the connections, I can't find anything loose or worn…. I am at a loss to explain the "stall", and kicking myself for toggling the key switch before doing more diagnostics!
>
> Any ideas what could cause that? It feels like a software (sevcon) problem, since the off/on cycle let it work again, but I would have expected the indicator light to be flashing an error code.
>
> Head scratching!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>




-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#31604): https://groups.io/g/electricboats/message/31604
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/84656270/3360820
Group Owner: electricboats+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/electricboats/leave/6293187/3360820/430022002/xyzzy [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment