Friday, August 6, 2021

[electricboats] Electric Powerboat

Hi All


My name is Ken Winokur and I have been a long time lurker on this mailing list but I don't post much.

I'm a yacht broker, marine technology advisor and more and have worked with power boat manufacturers on high speed hybrid electric (Siemens electric motors and Styer engines / generators) which for new power boats is an excellent solution but of course are nearly the same if not more expensive then traditional diesel power.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience or experimented with a different more simple approach.

This would be for older boat that's would mostly be used as a live aboard but needs to be moved occasionally and at only hull speed.

My approach would be for say a 39 foot 1980's Searay express cruiser for which I have many for sale dirt cheap.

I would rip out both engines and generator and replace them with a pair of AC industrial motors and run the off a single at AC240/240 or perhaps a pair of generators to get AC 460.

I see motors from 10 to 40 hp at Grainger and on eBay which may be suitable.

Any one who has explored this path I would be interested in talking to.

Thanks so much.

Ken

Btw my personal boat is a Sabre 28 sailboat with an atomic 4 that I may replace with electric some day.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#31620): https://groups.io/g/electricboats/message/31620
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/84753660/3360820
Group Owner: electricboats+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/electricboats/leave/6293187/3360820/430022002/xyzzy [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment