Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Sizing motor for 45-50’ boats

Dan, this is an incredibly useful reply! Thank you!!

I really like your approach, especially since I don't have an intermediate location to put an inline thrust bearing. (Although it wouldn't be hard to fiberglass one in, it would be difficult to get to when I need to maintain the bearings, etc.)  Plus, as you've mentioned, the cost to Python is substantially higher than building my own integrated to the engine plate (like the Thunderstruck solution).  

Using the eTrailer solution looks like an excellent plan for a DIY solution. I'm trying to evaluate how much thrust I'll need to account for and which solution I should use. The Hyper-9 HV is a pretty beefy motor, and my prop is 24" with a 24" pitch (potentially reducing to 14"-16" when I pull her out of the water next). 

How much thrust are you planning for with your solution?  I notice you're planning to have a non-threaded section after the threads. Is that to attach the belt pulley? I didn't quite understand that part of your solution, but maybe I need to just do some more thinking.

For the belt drive system, I'm considering adding a 3rd pulley for tensioning. Would that be a bad idea?  The motor is heavy, and I'd like to mount it in predrilled holes, rather than make it adjustable. Also, since my propeller shaft will go directly to the motor, I'll need to align it relatively precisely, so don't want to use the thrust bearing / prop shaft assembly for tensioning.  (I suppose this is one reason to use the Python solution...  ;-))

Once again, HUGE thanks, Dan!  This was AMAZINGLY helpful!

:-)
Steve
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31223) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment