Sunday, March 14, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Sizing motor for 45-50’ boats

I have a 46' sailboat that I'm converting to electric. I have the ac35 from thunderstruck which I believe is 32kw motor. I'm letting it with a 72v battery bank. The guys at thunderstruck told me that a 200ah bank would be sufficient. I don't plan on pushing my boat at hull speed on the motor. Main use will be to motor in and out of anchorages. 
 I imagine if I pushed it to him shipped I would only get about thirty minutes use from my batteries. But at lower speeds (under 4 knots) in hoping to extend that time to a couple of hours. Also considering the added input of power from solar which in theory at low enough speed could go indefinitely or so I'm told. But in the real world I'm mainly looking to sail and use the motor minimally. 

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 12:35 PM Ryan Sweet <ryan@ryansweet.org> wrote:
So it seems clear that the motoenergy 10kw + sevcon gen4 combo (thunderstruck kit) works great for boats in the 30'ish range, more or less replacing motors around 20hp or hull speeds from 5-7kt. 

Now I'm interested in skilling-up to take on conversions of larger boats.

Those of you with 40-50' boats, 60-150HP diesels, what are you using to re-power?   At higher voltages, what are the power curves like? Will a 72v motor draw 600a at top speed (and thus need a *much* larger bank than our 48v systems)?  Anyone experimenting with multi-input/single output transmissions and multiple smaller motors (eg run two 10kw 48v side by side)?  What are the best chargers for 72v/96v systems?







_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31196) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment