Friday, March 26, 2021

Re: Ang.:Re: Ang.:Re: [electricboats] Sizing motor for 45-50’ boats

Carsten,

Thank you!  I've found good bearings, but have no idea how to get them into a usable configuration. I've sketched out several ideas, but, unlike Dan, I don't have a lathe.  I agree that it would potentially be both better looking and stronger to not use a trailer hub. I'm still considering building my own, but I'm also still considering the hub.  Let me go in further depth back on the other thread.

:-)
Steve

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 01:00 PM, Carsten wrote:
Nice setup, Steve !
You wrote :  "places the biggest bearing where it will take the forward thrust".
Ther might be situations, where you will need the use of full reverse (when anchoring), but unfortunately most often in emergency situations.
I suggest that you make your thrust bearing equally strong dimensioned for both forward and reverse.
I do not recommend a trailer hub bearing to be used as a propeller shaft thrust bearing. Cheap, yes, but not the best for this purpose.
 
We happily spend 1000 hours of DIY design  and 10-30K $ of cash on our project,  but - save on the important thrust bearing... ?!? Nonono, and no !
 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31239) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment