Wednesday, March 31, 2021

[electricboats] All in all : Material Choices, Thrust Bearings, System Reliability and Labelling of Wiring

Thanks for the housing link, Egbert !

I still would go for a double spherical roller bearing solution (not a ball bearing), as it is much more flexible to absorb torsion forces and misalignments, so no trailer hub solution for me.

Personally, I should also consider the life span of the system when converting my saildrive, or change to shaft drive.
I'm not young, and my sailing days may be limited to 5-15 years, knock, knock, knock.
(My back hurts today, ouch...)
So, boat value is an issue.
I don't want to save 300$ now, just to devaluate my boat with 3000$.
I want to make a bullet proof design, that can convince a buyer too.

If it is just you that will sail the boat until it (or you) is scrapped, then no problem. Then anything goes.
But when selling in a good manner, it is why a good overall mechanically reliable design, and a good labelling of voltages and cable arrangements becomes important.
A transparent and easily understood system layout convinces a buyer, that the DIY conversion has been done with care and mind. Let that be a document following the boat or a throughout good labelling (or both).

In hope of your understanding of my poor english...

Cheers, guys
Carsten

On Thursday, 1 April 2021, 01:13:16 GMT+8, Egbert Van popta <motorstunter@gmail.com> wrote:


I looked at the specs of the ucfl bearing at the skf site and did the math. The axial load range is more than sufficient for my 12kw motor. Radial load 15kn of which 20% can be used as axial load force. It's not a huge margin, but as it is a very cheap and easy to change bearing I'm happy with that. On this site they weirdly enough don't mention the 20% axial load , but they give tips to increase the axial load capability. 

On the end of this written piece they link to plummer block housings with spherical bearings. Isn't this what you are looking for?


Egbert

No comments:

Post a Comment