Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Material Choices (was:Sizing motor for 45-50’ boats)

Educated machinist at a nuclear test facility in Denmark.
Worked as production planner and programmer of CNC multiple axis lathes and milling machines for 18 years
Switched to large marine producers, writing procedures for manufacturing, and tested production methods at suppliers
Worked in Asia for 10 years, educating and teaching many of the production facilities of large Diesel engine manufacturers in South Korea and China, and assembly of engines at the shipyards
Made the crankshaft production in China feasible for them

Now retired (and actually tired of chinese taking over everything (because of me, partly)).

Is that ok for you, Dan ?

In short, SS is not easily machined.
Go for my selection, then you'll have an easy time at your lathe.
I'm sure that you can look up the equivalent of my material in a comparison table.

Cheers !


On Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 04:23:21 GMT+8, Dan Pfeiffer <dan@pfeiffer.net> wrote:


>>Hi, Dan
>>I will suggest 34CrNiMo6 alloy for your shaft.
>>>
>>>On Friday, 19 March 2021, 07:07:01 GMT+8, Dan Pfeiffer <dan@pfeiffer.net> wrote:
>>>Carsten, You mentioned that I should not bother with stainless steel for my small output shaft.  What would you suggest for that instead? 

I found this info:
https://steelnavigator.ovako.com/steel-grades/34crnimo6/

Is a 4340 a similar alloy? I can get that from McMaster.  Cost is the about the same as SS.  How hard will it machine in my lathe?   I was prepared to machine the SS.  Will this be tougher? 

Also, I am figuring you have some background in all this? 

Thanks, Dan Pfeiffer


No comments:

Post a Comment