Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Re: [electricboats] importing batteries wholesale

Great info. Thanks Jeff for the reply. I am definitely not capable of that level dyi, but am always impressed by you guys who can do so much!
 I'm running a 16' homemade fiberglass tugboat as a daily commute boat from my 14 acre island to a maina. About a 800 meter (or yard lol) transit. Im 3000 lb boat. I have a 48 volt flooded lead acid system. Cheapest I could go 2 years ago. So far so good. But to maximize the battery life I don't go below 70% and would hope to upgrade in a few years to gel mat or lithium batteries as the price comes down. Not confident about building my own and will likely contract that out but am always paying attention to the great advice and knowledge here. I got my motor and controller advice here. 
Cheers. 
Kim 


On Mar 10, 2021, at 7:51 PM, Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff@stratustalk.com> wrote:

 Hi Kim,

I think its a matter of not having a local option, at least not for bare parts like this. Lots of people making packs in the US (we will be yet another), but I haven't seen anything US made with these power densities and prices.  Folks need to realize this is only one piece of a large puzzle - you need to get these into a reasonable case, have some kind of thermal management, a BMS, and other bits and pieces that getting wrong can be very costly.

Over beer we joke about taking it further and trying to make the pouches... but seriously at $100/cell or less to your door, and this last order in one week, it makes it hard to justify the manufacturing!

Cheers,

j

On 3/10/21 8:21 PM, Kim Gye wrote:
Hi Jeff,
Just wondering how much the savings are over buying locally. Glad it has worked out!
Kim Gye
Victoria, BC


On Mar 10, 2021, at 5:39 PM, Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff@stratustalk.com> wrote:

 I second Basen - that is who we ordered from as well.  I think we got the last of the 272AH cells :)  They will only sell me 280AH cells now (or 310, which we haven't tested yet).  My 50 count of 280AH are supposed to arrive on Friday, shipped from California!  If they actually show up on Friday it will be one week from order to delivery, no extra paperwork, but I paid slightly over $100/cell.

Jeff LaCoursiere
s/v Angels Quest
checkout www.aquasparc.com - packs coming soon


On 3/10/21 7:17 PM, Steven Borg wrote:
I successfully ordered 52 272Ah 3.2V Lishen batteries on Alibaba from Basen. I worked with Alex Chen. There was some confusion over the order being shipped -- the wrong shipment data got attached to my order. But all ended up fine in the end.  I tested 8 random batteries (out of the 52) and they turned out to be full power. (I'm no expert, and didn't do a perfect test. I just charged them up to 14.0V (4 in series - and less than a full charge), then hooked up a 12V heater and a shunt to measure. Measured at around 270Ah going from a 95% charge to a 10% charge. So things look great.)

The shipment was SUPER easy. Once I ordered it, I just had to wait. Then in around 7 weeks a FedEx truck showed up at my house and dropped off 26 boxes of very, very well packed batteries.

I feel very confident in re-ordering from Alex Chen at Basen again, and will likely do so again.  Cost, including shipping, was $4,483, which is $86.12 per 272Ah 3.2V LiFePO4 Lishen battery delivered to my door. 


--
Jeff LaCoursiere
s/v Angels Quest
St Thomas USVI

--

Jeff LaCoursiere
STRATUSTALK, INC. / CTO

Phone: +1 703.496.4990 x108
Mobile: +1 815.546.6599
Email: jeff@stratustalk.com
Website: https://www.stratustalk.com
Address: One Freedom Square
13th Floor
Reston, VA 20190
     



--
Jeff LaCoursiere
s/v Angels Quest
St Thomas USVI

No comments:

Post a Comment