Friday, July 3, 2020

Re: [Electric Boats] Electric conversion

 

Hi Richard, 

I had a 1977 Hunter 30, ours tipped the scale at a little under 10,000 pounds if my math is right 4000KG would be roughly 8,800 pounds. In the end we went diesel as we periodically made long distance trips along the Atlantic seaboard and there were stretches where there were no harbors with either the vertical clearance or the depth we needed for  100 kilometers and given that in the end we decided electric would not work for us. Beyond the possibility of being becalmed and needing to get back there was a real risk of either being grounded if you stuck to close to the shore or being beyond radio range and having an emergency. However we did price it out, this was 2005 so it may be better but when we priced it out we found that the motor and controller at that time was about $4,500 US batteries to allow 3 to 4 hours (claim was they would give us 6 hours but others who had made similar conversions weren't seeing that) at 4 knots about the same, chargers, wiring couplings to our shaft, supplies for a motor mount and other misc, about $2,500 more. It also was going to require hiring a hoist to pull the old diesel. I know some people have done without the hoist using the boom but that didn't feel safe and I had pictures of the friend that was going to help with this or I laying on the deck with the diesel on us. We thought at that time conservatively we needed about 12K in total for the inevitable problem we had foreseen. 

 I assume some of the costs have gotten better I know battery prices are better, and I would guess controllers are less expensive  but even so your number seems low. I don't know the conversion rate for NZD to USD, but my recollection is it was something like 1.30  yours to our dollar so that number seems very low even allowing for savings.

I think if 2 to 3 hours will give you what you need of auxiliary power and you can do the job for about the same or less than replacing the diesel I'd go for it, but really think carefully about that time limit. Please remember you can watch the weather as much as you can but still get an unexpected squall or other event that can change things drastically. 


On July 3, 2020 at 12:11:03 AM, Richard Holden rholden@orcon.net.nz [electricboats] (electricboats@yahoogroups.com) wrote:

 

Hi

I am about to go electric on a Herreshoff H28 28Foot 4000KG  ( I think that weight is correct)  - expect 2-3 hrs of run time on a battery bank costing around $1400NZD - TBC
I think Thunderstruck looks a great option and will most likely go with that at around $2300USD + plus extra gauges possibly.

I hope to get assistance from these guys who have done this for years and have the electrical knowledge to put this together and are currently in New Zealand.
 
So my pick is

Just starting down the track but will post a cost sheet and a final result as I get underway- I am over the diesel smell and had numerous issues with an old 15HP Ford - they do chug for hours but for us, it's about sailing on the right days by watching the weather carefully and we stay with the Hauraki Gulf here in New Zealand. Never have a time you have to be back home - it never happens!

Will keep in touch and any ( hopefully positive ) feedback and advice are really appreciated.

Richard

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 05:02, financial@jamesschmidt.xyz [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I have  a 1971 CT 41 sailboat with a frozen 50 hp diesel engine.  My boat displaces 25700 lbs.  Where di I start?

__._,_.___

Posted by: Marty Lampner <martin@lampner.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment