Monday, July 6, 2020

[Electric Boats] gearbox question on your sailboat [2 Attachments]

 

Hi Eric,

you and I have very similar systems with James Lamden's help. I had a gearbox failure late last season and was curious how yours has fared these several years.
I've had very few total hours on this in six years- maybe 60 to 100 in forward and 1 or 2 at most in reverse with rare maximum inout RPM of 2000- mostly 1000 RPM. So I'd say it has exceedingly light duty and was very surprised at the failure.

Mine is 2.5:1 attached to the same ME0913 motor as yours. It started making noise last year and got so loud as I motored it to haulout that folks on the dock were commenting.

I purchased an identical replacement and just had it put in. Now it is back to very quiet like new, except I do hear a sound in reverse operation. I'm attaching two six second videos, one in forward, one in reverse.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what you think? I'll probably send the original back for disassembly and rebuild and keep it for a spare. Perhaps that will tell us something.

Have you had any issues with your gearbox?

Thanks!

George Ojdrovich
Snow Lily
Tartan 34C

__._,_.___
View attachments on the web

Posted by: George Ojdrovich <go@springsips.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment