Saturday, March 7, 2020

Re: [electricboats] CAN to NMEA2000 motor data

Hi Larry,

I got my motor from Electroprop.com almost 3 years ago.  It was a complete kit with everything I needed including batteries.

 

I have 4  AGM batteries rated at 210 AH each from Northstar and can run at 4 knots for 12 hours which runs the batteries down to 50% (Conservative estimate).  I have also found that if I turn the motor on while sailing in 10 knots or more the system will regen and charge the batteries at 1-2 amps.

 

I do shore based charging and have Mastervolt chargers.

 

I too am very pleased that I did the conversion as you say no diesel fumes and it always starts..

 

Rgds Peter

 

From: electricboats@groups.io <electricboats@groups.io> On Behalf Of L Schmitz via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2020 11:33 AM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: Re: [electricboats] CAN to NMEA2000 motor data

 

What motor do you have?  I have 10kw thunderstruck kit. I am very pleased with it. My sailboat is 40 ft. But race boat is about same weight as your cat 30 I built my battery system lifepo4 cells. 6 to 7 hrs run time at close to hull speed. Charging overnight when needed No diesel or bilge smells.  All good here.  cheers

Best regards,

Larry Schmitz

 

 

On Saturday, March 7, 2020, 7:20 AM, Peter Zephyr <Pcbeckett@gmail.com> wrote:

I have an electric engine in my Catalina 30 and it uses a Sevcon Gen4 controller.  Currently I have a Sevcon Clearview display that connects to what looks like an OBD-II plug on the Sevcon and this displays a lot of data like motor speed, Voltage and Amps.  The display also has the capability of updating parameters in the Sevcon controller.  I want to be able to display the engine speed and possibly the Volts and Amps being used on my Garmin GPSMap 942 chart plotter which is connected to NMEA2000 network.  On the network I have connected my wind and direction device as well as water depth and temp device.  I have been looking at ADFWEB.com which has a CANopen to NMEA2000 device and wondered if anyone has tried interfacing a Sevcon Gen 4 controller to NMEA200 network?

Rgds  Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment