Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: My eboat ready to launch

 

Can someone help me out on how to read the amp and and volt meter in relation to the range of the battery bank?

I'm running a 10kw thunderstruck 2:1 gear reduction on my erickson 29 with a 48v bank of 4 group31 agms. It works great for the way I sail. I only have to throttle up slightly to go the speed I like to go down the channel. When I engage the motor the voltage usually drops from around 52 to about 48.9, once the sails are up and the motor is off the voltage goes back up to around 52. I figure the 48.9 means how much juice I have at that speed? What voltage should I stop motoring to prevent damaging the batteries? I know it's not good to take them below 50%. If I throttle higher the voltage drops more. I don't know much about electricity so if anyone is willing to explain this to me like I'm a five year old I would be grateful.
Best,
~Jack

P.s. does anyone have any easy to understand reading or youtube recommendations for electric drive and battery banks?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, 9:45 PM Daniel Michaels nov32394@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Your amps are going to be the same even at low rooms. Think of amps as power to turn something. It does not matter how fast it goes it is how hard it is to turn. 


On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 7:16 AM, 'Gennaro Fazio' gfazio@rochester.rr.com [electricboats]
 

I installed a 10kW Thunderstruck system with a 2:1 gear reduction and 275 Amp Hours 48 V AGM batteries on my 1979 Catalina 30, original 2 blade propeller.  I can get to 5 knots with 56 Amps – max throttle  - I don't do that often.  I usually like running at 3 knots at 10-15 Amps.  Depending on wind conditions.   I am thinking that if I switch to a three blade propeller I might get a bit more push at low RPMs.  VERY HAPPY with the conversion.  Gennaro

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:25 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: My eboat ready to launch

 

 

I own a 1989 Mirage 29, which currently has an original Volvo Penta 2002 diesel motor.  I am considering converting to electric - the old motor won't last much longer, and the admiral hates the smell!

 

I have looked at the 10kW Thunderstruck motor - it seems to be a good match.  I am struggling with battery capacity, however.  If I wanted an endurance of, say, 5 hours at 5 kts, what would I need?  I would consider LiFePO4 batteries - expensive, but apparently long lasting.

 

Any comments or guidance you all could provide would be much appreciated..

 

Dave

__._,_.___

Posted by: John McDonnell <jack21322@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment