Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] new member's project: EP mountain lake cruiser on $2000 budget [1 Attachment]

 
[Attachment(s) from billhopen@yahoo.com [electricboats] included below]

Sculptor makes boat propulsion system?, hmmm, this could be weird


Good question Joe, one I pondered my self, I was attracted to the clean efficient simplicity of an inboard, but several fears concerns nixed the inboard idea:
  1) if I make a hole in a perfectly good hull I would have to trust my stuffing box sealing ability and it may possibly be subject to less than perfectly smooth vibration of my home made drive shaft. 
 2)  the electric motor would be either in the center of the floor in the the way, or under the deck possibly subject to dampness of bilge leakage from afore mentioned shaft seal problems, or just rain and a failing bilge pump.
 3)  the angle of the dangle of the prop would make trailer boat ramp drop off and hauling a problem
 4) my turning circle/maneuverability would be better if prop and rudder turned at say 45 degrees each way.  Our mountain lakes are dammed up rivers in mountainous terrain, each little ravine and creek coming into the river forms a convoluted little inlets going back in a tight little creeks  This gives the lake a very interesting shoreline like a christmas tree.  I will need to reverse and u-turn in some tight spots to visit to some of the great fishing and swimming holes.  an in board and rudder seemed like it wouldn't be as nimble.

So I am essentially making a very eccentric large out board rudder thing with a huge  18 inch bronze prop turning in the middle of it.  it  I will be all bronze and copper with a stainless steel drive shaft coming down from the motor at the top, turning in exposed bronze bearings, to an right angle drive that runs the prop on another  drive shaft with exposed bearings......yes I know, very funky, very steam punk, on purpose, it will be a showy bronze contraption...after all I am a sculptor, and yes it would have been easier to just buy a propane outboard....but thats not how I roll..(or float, in this case).

the whole out board/rudder contraption thingy will pivot in the center, turning from vertical to horizontal on the stern when its time to raise the prop and tow.

I named her "photo-moto"  or perhaps "Photo-moto-boto" and since this is the first design attempt I guess you could say its the "Proto-photo-roto-moto-boto".........but there I go again getting overly complex






__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from billhopen@yahoo.com [electricboats] | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)


Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
Cana wine steward for web.jpg


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment