Thursday, March 5, 2015

[Electric Boats] new member's project: EP mountain lake cruiser on $2000 budget

 

Hi everybody,


  I'm new member Bill the sculptor...this is my e-boat project for our family of 7 who lives 1/2 mile from a beautiful clear mountain lake in central WV.  we don't need to water ski but want to go fishing and swimming and hiking in uplake  areas, the lake is a dammed up river that goes back 17 miles and has hundred of miles of shoreline.

I've budgeted $2000,  the project begins:


I bought a 70's vintage 21ft sailboat hull on a trailer for $285.  hauled up to the mountains from the maryland atlantic shore


RK 21 Centerboard Overnighter Cruising Sloop



and I bought one hell of a motor  for  $330.


48 VDC 4000 RPM 8 HP Electric Motor Etek Bolt Pattern 3/4" Shaft New 48V NOS


add one brass 18"/17 pitch  boat prop    $35   


brass boat propeller



The various various connectors and gear boxes, shafts, bearing needed will cost $100 more 



So I spent $750, and I have $1250 to go,  Now, dear new friends, is when this poor newbe needs your help and advice with the electric system.


I will for go purchasing  expensive batteries for now, I have some deep cycle marine lead acids, 3 good ones that will get me 36V,  I may double up on that for an additional $150 -200


that leaves me with $1,000. left to play with for solar panels, a charge controller, a motor controller....can it be done?

  

I want your suggestions for a good charge controller/solar panel combo   I have this dream of a switch I throw that drives the motor directly from what sun is shining on say 3-300watt panels,  that is, a direct connection from panels to motor.....is that practical? possible?  electrically kosher?


I am a sculptor/mechanical fabricating wiz/welder machinist....but I know very little about DC power and solid state electronics.  I have by formula computed the theoretical hull speed to be 5.75 knotts, so I am going for 80-85% of that, say a 5mph cruise rate,  The de-masted and stripped hull will weigh in at 1200, after the 600lb ballast is replaced by batteries, motor and 3 solar panels.  I' ve heard it said that  about one HP per 500 lbs of displacement will drive you close to 85% of theoretical hull speed, so  thats would mean I need 3HP, say 2000 watts with battery assisting solar panels to attain full cruising 5mph.   but I would like to also just lol along on straight sun power at times using the motor at way under capacity (this motor will delivery great torque at low speed, running at 12 volts or less).   The huge over sized prop won't "slip" much, and will be geared down, turning slow, at 200 rpm  to  max 1000 rpm.


A pleasure to join your group.  http//www.billhopen.com






__._,_.___

Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment