Wednesday, March 4, 2015

[Electric Boats] New Member introduction

 

Hi every body,


I'm just starting my electric boat project.   There is a beautiful mountain lake 1/2mile from my house in WV.


Though I canoe a kayak, its hard to get out with our 5 kids (littlest one 3yrs old)   so we decided we need a lake cruiser.   I just bought a 70's vintage 21ft FG sloop off the atlantic coast and will be bringing it to the shop.  It will be refitted from sail to an electric slow boat, sort of like the African Queen.   A sun shade roof of solar panels and and electric drive, ballast replaced with a bank of batteries.


My theoretical hull speed is about 5.73knots, stripped weight displacement will be 1200 lbs,  so I figure a large slow turning prop engineered to push us at 5mph would take 2-3 hp motor and draw 1500-2000watts to cruise


I'm hoping to get good advice from you all who have gone electric before me.  the mysteries of motor controllers, solar controllers, battery banks, and DC motor effeciencies will be what I need help with.


I am a bronze figurative sculptor by trade, so welding, fabricating, rigging will be no problem...I'd be glad to help advise any of your with custom cast fabrications you might need in stainless or bronze.


www.billhopen.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment