Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Charging batteries in series?

 

Just got back in town, chasing Mayan ruins again and having fun.  A few quick notes, the insulated panels on top are not solar charger type.  I looked at the situation, and with variable sun, dirty panels, not facing the light, etc, I decided that a genset works for me.  I will get one that charges while I hike, for the weight of about one or two batteries, saving a second pack.  Charger runs while I camp on shore, about a 6 hour full recharge on 1 1/2 quarts of gas.  The DB level on the new ones are doable, and in case of ( whoops?) need, I can get repowered on the water, for less weight than a back up pack.  Going too far afield with slow solar charging is not for me, when I get caught out on the water in a storm, darned if I want to Hope it can get home.  I chose 48 volt setup for a split two battery pack on the boat sides to add stability, and the smaller wire size that works best.   If ambient light is used from panels directly, I would guess that any storm and rain, whatever would stop power generation just when you want to get more from the system.  I sure wouldn't count on solar --- except to hold or create the charge between uses, not for powering up.
 
Thanks for the appreciation, all boats are a work in progress and improvement, ---   Cal 
 
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 7:01 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Electric Boats] Charging batteries in series?
 
 

first, my admiration to you for your electricboat...wow what a beauty.   I'm just getting started on my local lake cruiser...the refitting of a 21ft sloop, changing it from sail to electric prop.   All I want is about 4-5 knots, my theroetical hull speed is 5.73 knot, and I've heard 80% of that speed is an energy efficient target .

 
I like your idea of putting lightweight flexible panels up to keep over head weight down.   I would like to hear your suggestion for what sort of solar charge controller you would use for about 6 grape panels such as you have.   I'll be running a small 2hp 36v motor turning a large prop rather slowly(by gearing it down)
 
Of course I will have a battery bank, but I wonder if I could just cruise directly from what sun is hitting the panels.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (52)

Check out the automatic photo album with 6 photo(s) from this topic.
y5.JPG a.JPG m.JPG v.JPG y2.JPG


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment