Tuesday, March 10, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: new member's project: EP mountain lake cruiser on $2000 budget

 

Wow Tom, my admiration for such a beautiful boat built from scratch.  The Norwegian in me wishes I had the time to build a wooden boat as my grandfather did.  Thats is similar to the type of boat we are trying to configure, sort of an "African Queen"


Thats good news about the efficiency /speed /power.  I hope mine works out to need less power, seeing your roof I could imagine a solar cell system practically powering you along.

I've a question about your motor efficiency, when you run your motor at lower power, does the motor itself get inefficient?    I've seen power charts for certain motors that seem to indicate that at lower speeds, half the electric power is wasted, but at high output they are 90% efficient 

seems like there is a sweetspot by getting the right prop, the right gearing, and right size motor.  I might try different motors, it would be great to get the speed I want with 1000watt motor.  my displacent fully loaded will be less than half of yours, but my hull has a big square ass not a beautifully tapered one like yours, and I will also have more drag from my 3inch wide right angle drive hanging down in the water as well as frictional losses in a more complex drive train

thanks for the photo journal of your boat build...a treat!

__._,_.___

Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment