Saturday, May 18, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] New member

 

Sandy,
The final displacement of the barge is important. After all of your additions re-calculate your hull speed, displacement, and need to use bow thrusters to help control the barge during docking, etc. Also, you can, use two motors for easier control. You can cut your voltage/amps by going slower, and to move the boat, two electric motors will not use anymore amps than one motor at the same speed.

With the size of the barge you should easily be able to power it with a healthy battery bank and large enough solar bank to handle all of your needs. I have good links for reasonably priced solar panels, and batteries.

As for motors, you can save a bundle by buying an older golf cart or two, and strip out the motors. You can put in new brushes to bring it up to speed. There are many high torque motors on the market today to choose from. 

Solarhouseboat weighs in at about 12,000 lbs, and to push it at 3 mph I use 20-30 amps at 24 volts. I mounted my motor on a 1965 Johnson/Evinrude outboard because it was given to me for free. It has a 11-1/2" pitch prop. I tested it with 48, and 36 volts, but settled on 24 because of power consumption.  3-4 mph is not fast, but it outweighs paying out for fuel. Slow-free, fast-money out; your choice.

My solar array puts out 1680 watts, which handles the 720 watts of the motor, and the rest of our electric on the boat. 

Hope some of this is helpful. We are getting ready to leave to do the great loop by the middle of June. So, if you live anywhere along the loop, let me know. I would like to stop and see the barge!

bud....



On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM, bwanawhywhy <beetle.ross@gmail.com> wrote:
 

I am in the process of acquiring a rather unusual barge, and considering converting it to electric drive if its not too expensive. I am still in a quandary however as she has two 85hp 900 rpm. Gleniffer diesels, and in the centre an 85hp Lister diesel. Dimensions roughly are 18.28M(60')x 4.34M(14'3")X1.3M(4'6)draft. Displacement I calculate at 91.54 Tonnes(90.04longT) hull speed 9kt. I reckon, and I will be interested in other points of view, to average 6.2Kph(3.4kt)(4mph) 59hp, 35.25 KVa , 44Kw. This could be spread over the three shafts at 15Kw per shaft. Searching for suitable motors is proving difficult and confusing. You observations and comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Sandy


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment