Sunday, April 10, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] more on dilemma

 

Al:
 
Sounds like a plan. Plus who knows what new technologies will be around when you are finally ready to convert to EP in the future.  Enjoy the boat!
 
Capt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com

--- On Sun, 4/10/11, Al Maxwell <almxwll@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Al Maxwell <almxwll@gmail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] more on dilemma
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Cc: dell29.m@shaw.ca
Date: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 11:55 PM

 
Thanks to Mike, Rob, Sally and Eric.  Talked with the main financier in the partnership and arrived at a compromise.  Although the idea of undoing what was already done wrenched at my psyche, I was willing to do it until I added it all up.  The conversion would cost $10000.  On a good day, I might get $5000 for the Bukh Pilot 20, even though its like brand new.  I'd need more generation, which could also add up quickly to $5000 more for wind, solar and maybe a cheap gas generator.  For the principal, I'm out of pocket a whole lot, and I may have a perfectly good match of engine to hull.  I don't know.  The diesel was run on land, the Buchan has never been in the water since it came off the mold in 1972.  The conversion would cost more than the hull.

I like Rob's idea, I'll try the rig with the diesel and rip and tear later like the rest of you if in a couple of year's time I come into money, and/or the guilt of using fossil fuels overcomes me.  Sure would have been sweet to do it while the hull is bare, though.

Again, thanks everyone.  Those conversions, when I went back and recalculated are accurate.  In my mind, the one to three ratio for HP and the 1 KW to ton ratio will live in my memory.

Cheers,
Buchanal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment