Saturday, April 9, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] a dilemma

 

Al:
 
I am happy for a number of reasons since I went electric but, in terms of your engine question. I converted the Nonsuch 30 BTW. On my 30 foot 16,000 pound boat I had a Westerbeke 27 which was a 27 HP diesel engine. It was fine for the boat but, 5 knots was the top speed I could tolerate when it was running because of the noise and vibration. It worked fine for ten years until one day it didn't. You know the rest of the story. The thing about electric compared to diesel is that the electric motor only has to turn the shaft and prop. The diesel has to turn several hundred pounds of fluids, metal crank shafts, water pumps, oil pump and an alternator so that by the time the power gets to the shaft about 2/3 has already been used up so you are at the 9 HP level at least on my setup. So the Thoosa 9000 works very well for me. I'll let others who are more knowledgeable about all the mechanics chime in on the specific details but, I'm happy with my system. I do think your boat may be underpowered with the current engine but, because it is pretty much unused you should be able to get a good price for it if your decide to go electric and sell it.

--- On Sat, 4/9/11, almxwll@gmail.com <almxwll@gmail.com> wrote:

From: almxwll@gmail.com <almxwll@gmail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] a dilemma
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Cc: alvan.m@shaw.ca
Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011, 9:06 PM

 
Hi,

I just bought a Buchan '37 whose hull is perfect and whose inside is bare, and whose engine has run for a total of 15 minutes. Its a Westerbeke Pilot 20, reputed to be able to put out 20 HP to the propellor. My calculations from displacement and waterline length using Dave Gerr's book, Propellor Handbook lead me to believe that the engine is undersized and that I need 24 HP or 18 KW.

I looked in on the Nonsuch conversion using the Thoosa 9000 at 9 KW and the 35 foot C&C using an electricyacht 180i at I think 8KW and see that their owners are pleased. So, my dilemma is why are they happy when they have only half the power required in their conversion. Is this a trick?

I'd rather go green, but its a big step to scrap a perfectly fine installation of a diesel for a flyer on something that's more expensive.

Cheers,
Al Maxwell

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment