Saturday, April 9, 2011

[Electric Boats] a dilemma

 

Hi,

I just bought a Buchan '37 whose hull is perfect and whose inside is bare, and whose engine has run for a total of 15 minutes. Its a Westerbeke Pilot 20, reputed to be able to put out 20 HP to the propellor. My calculations from displacement and waterline length using Dave Gerr's book, Propellor Handbook lead me to believe that the engine is undersized and that I need 24 HP or 18 KW.

I looked in on the Nonsuch conversion using the Thoosa 9000 at 9 KW and the 35 foot C&C using an electricyacht 180i at I think 8KW and see that their owners are pleased. So, my dilemma is why are they happy when they have only half the power required in their conversion. Is this a trick?

I'd rather go green, but its a big step to scrap a perfectly fine installation of a diesel for a flyer on something that's more expensive.

Cheers,
Al Maxwell

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment