Monday, February 22, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Trolling Motor Question

 

Denny,

In checking the amps at WOT with the boat tied to the dock, I assume that that test should be done at the rated voltage of the motor (12v) and with the factory prop. If so, is the dock test with the lower volage and factory prop really necessary? I thought that the Endura 30 was named "Endura 30" because it was rated to draw 30 amps wide open tied to a dock, and that I would risk overheating only if I draw more than 30 amps, regardless of whether I am running it with factory 12v or boasting the voltage for higher rpm with a 24v controller.

It seems that I should, as you said, just run the boat in calm conditions at different speeds with difference props to see which prop is most efficient, while never exceeding 30 amps. I was planning to program in a 30 amp limit into the controller to avoid overheading the motor.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "dennis wolfe" <dwolfe@...> wrote:
>
> Kevin is exactly right. Just check the amps at WOT with the boat tied to the dock. Call that X amps.
>
> The best prop for your boat is the one that causes the motor to pull X amps running free and gives the highest speed. Staying under X amps will insure you are not overheating the motor.
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment