Sunday, February 21, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Charging 48V system

 

BR:
 
Glad to help. Not having an engine to remove you are ahead of the game in going electric. I was surprised how much stuff I was able to remove off the boat because I needed it to support the diesel engine and that I no longer nedded to carry once I went electric.
 
Capt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com
--- On Sun, 2/21/10, KGB <kgb55@tyfonmail.se> wrote:

From: KGB <kgb55@tyfonmail.se>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Charging 48V system
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 1:22 PM

 
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the info, certainly very useful. I have already read your blog carefully a couple of times! Thanks! We bought the boat without an engine so we don't have to do the messy work with removing all diesel stuff, just painting the engine room.

I'm glad to hear that there is 48V solar panels and wind mills available on the market. I will check the suppliers you point at.

BR,
KGB007

--- In electricboats@ yahoogroups. com, Mike <biankablog@ ...> wrote:
>
> BR:
>  
> I have had a Thoosa 9000 system installed since 2008 that has worked very well on my 8 ton 30 foot sailboat.  If you are interested I have posts on how I installed my system starting here:
> http://biankablog. blogspot. com/2008/ 05/going- electric. html
>  
> As for solar charging you do not need to use four 12 volt panels for charging. I purchsed two Kanaka 48 volt panels and a Morningstar 48 volt controller which simplifies things. I only had one panel hooked up last season and it did a good job charging. This season I plan to install the second  one.
>   As for wind generators you can get the Marine Air X in a 48 volt version which is what I have. That has worked great in keeping the battery bank topped up over the winter. I think that is the way you want to go. The Marine Air X has it's own charge controller the measures the battery bank voltage and cuts out at certain voltage. Then begins charging again when the bank drops below a preset. I have not had a problem with the Marine Air x since I installed it. Hope this helps.
>     I also have a Zivan-NG1 charger which has done a good job in charging the bank via my Honda 2000 generator. I use it for the bulk charge and it can drive the boat 2.8 knots without drawing down any amps from the battery bank. I have recently noticed that my batteries may be getting out of balance so I need to address this. But, I am happy with it otherwise. Hope this info helps.
>  
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog. blogspot. com
>  
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog. blogspot. com
>
>
> --- On Sat, 2/20/10, KGB <kgb55@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: KGB <kgb55@...>
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Charging 48V system
> To: electricboats@ yahoogroups. com
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 7:59 AM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I will go electric in our Allegro 27 sail boat in a year. When looking at the different systems available today I like the Thoosa 48V systems. A question around this: If I want solar charge it's no problem adding four 12V panels to get leveled with the battery bank voltage. When I search for wind generators I find only 12V and 24V devices. How have others solved this? Charging a 48V battery bank with a wind generator I mean (generator? charge regulator?)?
>
> BR,
> Kjell-Göran Bergendahl, Sweden.
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment