Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Re: [electricboats] sevcon controlled electric drive does not rotate

Interesting to learn that the angular position sensor boards have this level of failure rate.

On balance, my 20yr old ETEK brush motor (on 4th set of brushes) setup doesn't look so bad even today with so many seasoned brushless alternatives.

I did have an Alltrax AXE controller fail this summer (after 20 years), but that was probably my fault.

I replaced it with a used one bought on Ebay (Alltrax NPX) which didn't deliver close to the battery voltage let alone its rated full power.  Thankfully, Alltrax agreed to reflash the memory in the controller and changed the throttle type to ITS (inductive throttle sensor) for me and it's been working like a charm since.  No idea why but even while it acknowledged full throttle it would only output about ¾ battery voltage to the load.  That used controller was a boat-anchor if it weren't for Alltrax doing this for me.

 

From: electricboats@groups.io [mailto:electricboats@groups.io] On Behalf Of jeffsschwartz@hotmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2023 8:46 AM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: Re: [electricboats] sevcon controlled electric drive does not rotate

 

Hi Tim,

I had the same problem a couple of years back with my Sevcon/Motenergy combo (purchased from Thunderstruck).  It all worked great when I benched it and then it stopped working later on (the motor would vibrate a bit but not spin).  The problem ended up being the controller board in the engine (the Motenergy one costs about $30 US).  When Thunderstruck shipped me a new board it worked fine and I haven't had a problem since.

The controller board is in the back of the Motenergy motor, under a small screwed in panel.  I may have a picture from some previous emails that I can dig up.

No comments:

Post a Comment