Monday, November 6, 2023

[electricboats] sevcon controlled electric drive does not rotate

I have installed an electric drive on my sailboat using a kit supplied by Electric Drive Engineering in Western Australia. It uses a Motenergy 10kw motor in conjunction with a Sevcon Gen 4 size 4 controller and Opus display. I have adapted the system to output to my original sail drive. The system is only used to get in and out of the morning pen and has clocked up about 10 hours use over the last 10 months or so. It has worked flawlessly until now. A couple of weeks ago, I went out for a sail and on the way out everything was fine, but about 4 hours later when returning to the pen, it refused to function.

The line contactor is working fine with 48V either side when actuated.

The Sevcon controller is not showing any error messages with a solid green indicator light and I am not getting any error info from the opus display.

I have removed the coupling between the motor and gearbox and both rotate freely when not powered up, however when I power the system up and select forward/reverse and apply throttle, the output shaft of the motor locks completely with the amps ramping up considerably. With no throttle but in gear I can also detect noise from within the motor indicating it is attempting to turn at about 2 or 3 second intervals.

The unit came with the controller and display set up by the supplier.

I have checked all the connections and am getting the full voltage at the controller.

Hoping someone might have some advice... 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32489) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment