Thursday, December 30, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Motor Mount and Thrust Plate design - hoping for feedback

Carsten, I'm having trouble visualizing how I might use aluminum bar to attach the motor plate to the old engine beds.  Right now, my tentative plan is to have the motor mount and everything on it tilted at an 8% angle to match the beds (4.5" treated wood).  That allows me to set the bolt holding the motor plate at 90 degrees to the ways/beds -- allowing me to reuse existing bolt holes potentially. Here's a few diagrams, then I'm going to try to flesh out what I think you might be recommending below those.

Here's the ways and the engine mount, showing the 98% bend of the supports. (Again, the supports shown here are just bent plate, but my final design will be far more robust (see below for first idea).)



Here's an angled view showing the mount looking fore (and to the side). Note that the thrust meets the center of the propeller shaft at the top of the ways.


Here's a view looking aft, straight on. Note that the engine plate is sized to 'float' in between the ways to allow for vertical adjustment to ensure I can create exact alignment (vertically) with the propeller shaft. (For angular alignment, I'll use shims (likely <2% max) between the support and the ways for adjustment.)


My understanding of your recommendation is that I would make the support 90 degrees and then use a triangular shim of approximately 8% and put that between the support and the ways. That shim could be epoxy for insanely strong support. Then I'd either attach the bolts at 90 degrees to the support, and at an angle through the ways, or directly through the ways.  Something like this?  Where the grey is the epoxy shim you're recommending and the red and yellow arrows are the way the bolts would go through the ways?  So sorry if I'm interpreting what you've said wrong, Carsten!  



:-)
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment