Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Motor Mount and Thrust Plate design - hoping for feedback

It's worth looking at the thunderstruck solution - that have a top bolt connecting to the plate vertically with locking nuts and with an eye to fasten to the motor and that is used to tension the belt up and down.  Prevents the other bokts from sliding down.  I haven't seen any movement from vibration - also with 200+hours, but I also used a steel strut and rubber washers as dampeners to ensure that the mounting plate and motor doesnt wiggle fore and aft. 

On Dec 28, 2021, at 14:32, Steven Borg <steve@theborg.family> wrote:

Thanks, Dan!  I appreciate the comments. Very much!

You reminded me of a question I forgot to ask about belt tightening. Thank you!

My current plan is to mount a free spinning, 2" idler on one or both sides of the belt. I put two 1/2" slots to accept the bolt. Today, the 30mm wide, 8mm pitch belt slides on my prototype fairly tightly, then I can tighten with the idler.

However, you recommend using slotted holes for the motor mount. I considered that, and it would likely be ideal, since I wouldn't need an idler - saving me both space (I could bring the two gears closer together), and efficiency of having a bend in the timing belt (not to mention the additional wear).  What kept me from doing that is that the motor is 120 pounds and I was worried that the weight and vibration would eventually 'wiggle' the motor down, loosening the belt. This is especially true since I'm having to mount only a single face of the motor (at least that's the current plan).  (Plus, the bolts are only 3/8" holding in the motor.)

Am I being overly concerned about the bolts loosening and the motor slipping down?  I'd love to have slotted mounts, but I'm nervous!  

Thanks again, Dan!  I really appreciate your help. Especially the drawing of your solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment