Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Motor Mount and Thrust Plate design - hoping for feedback

Thanks, Dan and Ryan!

Ryan, I'll do that! I hadn't thought of using a threaded bar to prevent the motor from sliding down. I could easily create something to hold the motor up during adjustments.

Dan, I appreciate the feedback on the slots, too.  I could shorten the height by several inches and save some money on the stainless steel.

Here are some notes:
  • Pulleys: P30-8M-30 small pulley (30 teeth) and P112-8m-30 large pulley for a 1:3.7 reduction. I'd like more, but 30 teeth is a bit small and going bigger than 112 meant a pulley that would extend too low.  
  • 1/2" stainless is crazy but it mates up perfectly with the motor. I could likely get away with 3/8", but I'm someone who consistently overbuilds things, so... 1/2".  I chose stainless because she's lived the last 30 years in saltwater and will likely continue to for the foreseeable future. Plus it's a similar metal to the motor face.  1/2" aluminum would be plenty strong, and that was my original choice, but decided to do 100% stainless steel (304 series) instead. 
  • I'm ordering the plate from either a local steel shop (Everett Steel) or SendCutSend.com so I'll have it laser cut. That adds about $250 dollars to the cost, but I get accurate, clean holes.  And I don't have to figure that part out. 
  • Motor: NetGain HyPer 9HV (144V, 500A AC Motor)
  • Batteries: 48 EVE 280Ah 3.2V for 153.6 nominal V and 43 kwH
  • Boat: 55 ft, 49 at waterline, 45,000 lbs, ketch, 24" prop

I have another couple posts from a long time back on the forum, with more details.  
electricboats@groups.io | Repowering a 55' sailboat
electricboats@groups.io | Repowering a 55' sailboat - Tentative Design

As you can see in those threads, Dan, your comments and those of others heavily influenced my design and I made some major changes to my initial ideas!

:-)
Steve
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31705) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment