Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Re: [electricboats] new member: looking for electric outboard recommendations

This has been my interim solution that looks like it's going to become a permanent solution for me.  If you need more power, use multiple motors.  

Two 50lb (12V ~50A) motors pushes my 30' Alberg nicely at a couple knots. Four or six gets her closer to hull speed of course, but battery life is a concern for me too.  I find Minn Kotas or Motor Guides on craigslist in/around Chicago for $75-150 all day in the fall and winter. One even came with a good charger and deep cycle battery for that price. An added bonus is if you shop around a bit you can always sell them for as much or even more than you paid if you buy in the fall and sell in the spring.

Also a factor to consider, especially with newer manufacturers, is reliability.  IDK the MTBF etc of all the different models naturally, but my brother (a former US Navy diesel mechanic) recommended 'don't be out on the water with only a single prime mover.'  And these are words of wisdom.  Multiple batteries, multiple motors, and you'll always have a plan B.

FYI: Minn Kota's recommendation is 2lbs of thrust for every 100lbs of boat.  The conversion is amps x volts = watts; 746 watts = 1hp

So, for instance, two 50lb motors (~100A @ 12V) = 1200W => 1.6hp

Also a consideration is that the electric motor's hp is almost entirely translated into actual thrust.  It's a mistake to compare internal combustion hp to electric hp.  Electric is significantly more efficient, all other things being equal.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!


On Sunday, September 19, 2021, 05:20:31 PM CDT, Greg DeCowsky via groups.io <greg.decowsky=me.com@groups.io> wrote:


I may have to find a Craigslist motor for the short term, based on an apparent lack of availability of new motors on line.

I would like to see the ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 if I can find one. Preferably the one for remote steering.


/
Greg DeCowsky ☠
Sent from my AyePhone®




No comments:

Post a Comment