Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Re: [electricboats] House systems - separate or together with drive system?

Wow, I apologize for not editing for autocorrect typos. Hopefully the ones below make sense in context.

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 22:42, Ryan Sweet via groups.io <ryan=ryansweet.org@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I am at the beginning of a conversion for a 32' ketch, and I have the 10kw thunderstruck kit, charger, reduction, and battery bank all working on my bench under artificial load. She will be at a dock soon where I can pull the diesel and begin refitting with the EV drive.
>
> The boat has an existing house system with four 6v golf cart batteries in 2p2s for both the 12v house loads and the starting motor, along with two 50w solar panels and a charge controller. During the summer in the Pacific NW the solar keeps up with the house loads at anchor all summer, she is usually at a dock plugged in for much of the winter.
>
> I originally intended to leave all the existing 12v system in place, and keep the 48v ev system separate, but I'm realizing that once the old motor comes out, it's really prime time to simplify as many things as possible, so I'm wondering about the necessary equipment and pros/cons of running the house load off of the same battery bank as the EV (right now I am working the EV with 4x 12v 200ah AGM in 4s).
>
> What becomes complicated or inefficient about running them together (with a 48v to 12v step down) vs having separate systems?
>
> I halfway thought that I would try leaving the existing house system as-is, adding the EV with the AGM bank separately, and if it is all working well, then switching the EV drove to a m bank of lifepo4 and rewiring the AGM bank in 4p at 12v, replacing the older system which is nearing end of life in the next few years anyway. But I also am drawn to the simplicity of only having one set of batteries to worry about for all loads.
>
> What are the practical considerations that you guys have encountered for each scenario?
> My boat will mostly be used for crushing near shore, likely with power though most winters, and at anchor or underway in summers.
>
>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30589): https://groups.io/g/electricboats/message/30589
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/75097777/3360820
Group Owner: electricboats+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/electricboats/leave/6293187/430022002/xyzzy [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment