Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Re: [electricboats] AC vs DC gensets, how many?

You say you are doing a parallel hybrid. I have used the Steyr system in my 12m solar cat. My assumption is that your system, like my Steyr one, charges the battery while the diesel is propelling the boat. I have a 48Vdc LFP battery pack. 


You should not need additional generator(s). Since you’ll have two systems, you can also run one side on diesel abd the other on electric if your battery is low. This uses less fuel than running both motors on diesel at similar speeds. 


at anchor, you can also run one diesel in neutral to charge the battery. Since you generate DC power, this is more efficient than running an AC generator and converting to DC. 


while you’re at it, I’d suggest you run all your AC loads thru inverter(s) using shore power to only charge your battery thru a dedicated charger. 

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30550) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment