Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Greetings! Catalina 30 owner here, considering an electric repower

 

I'm getting away with 16 sq feet of solar for my 48v group 31 agm bank on my ericson 29. It keeps it topped off, but I mostly sail. Wind and solar would be ideal,  also still working on wind. To get the real estate I built a stainless steel rack overhead mounted to the transom.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 7:16 AM erichmadison <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I have an Electric Yacht system in my Victoria 26, similar mooring situation as you. Just so you're aware, if you're running a 48v system, you'll need a fair amount of solar panel real estate--about 18 sq ft--to charge the bank--not an option in my opinion. Your best bet is a wind turbine, and I have yet to go that route. Instead, I tend to pull my boat off the mooring and dock it for a 6 to 9 hours while it's hooked up to a portable generator. 


AGM batteries need to be maintained (topped off)--I've had to replace mine once already (after 4 years). I'm not sure there's a better option. Lithium would be even worse in regards to the intermittent charging schedule.

__._,_.___

Posted by: John McDonnell <jack21322@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment