Friday, October 5, 2018

[Electric Boats] Re: How Efficient is a BLDC/PMAC Motor, Used as a Generator?

 

Because I don't want to run the big engine every time I want to charge batteries, and I want a redundant mechanical charging system in case the main engine quits on me. So I figured the Beta 10, and a motor ran by the Beta in regen mode, might be a good way to go. Also I need some flexibility. The bank will be 96V but if I get a shorted cell and remove a battery from the bank, I am down to 93V and so on. I need to be able to adjust charge voltage appropriately. With my manual charger, that is no problem. I can easily charge any size bank from 130V down to a single cell. But it requires an AC input of appropriate voltage, (think 110VAC to 125VAC), preferably around 60Hz, +/- 10Hz or so. The manual charger, in reality just a big Variac and a rectifier, will still be used for shore power charging, especially when an equalizing charge is needed. An alternator with external regulation controllable via potentiometer and capable of charging a 96V bank at a decent current, would work, sure. But there will already be a BLDC motor belt coupled to the prop shaft, which can itself be used to charge the bank in regen mode, and so a 96V alternator mounted on the engine would be unnecessary. The original alternator will be retained for charging a start battery.



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <nov32394@...> wrote :

Why don't you just use an alternator with the engine. I am making a 200 amp 60v so I can motor sail while charging the batteries. Then just on batteries then motor sailing again.


On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 6:20 AM, clh5_98@... [electricboats]
<electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Great ideas. You can also run your windlass and thruster with a Kelly controller. I bought a 24 volt windlass and run it off my 48 volt pack through a Kelly controller. Works great. I posted my schematic here a few years ago.

Chris

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment