Thursday, March 22, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] 48V Lithium Ion EV Batteries

 

Hey John, I am almost done with my electric tug.  I too have been where you are.  And Yes, there is a lot of talk about how great the "cosmic" batteries are, especially the Tesla.  And I am with you in that they are so freaking expensive, they class themselves out of the common market.  I haven't read the article you site, but it has been my experience that from announcement to market is 3-5+ years.  So for those of us that are not independently wealthy, we are left with the various lead/acid and AGM/gell types. 

I would like to mention my great appreciation to Electroprops for directing me to a very good value that is made just 65 miles Northeast of me, in Springfield, Missouri.  It is the Northstar SMS-AGM480. >>  https://www.northstarbattery.com/  << 

This battery boasts a 217 amphour rating, is AGM, is 68.9 kg (151.5 Lbs.)  In my case, it is the most compact and has the best density of any of its competitors I have found.  I am sure there may be other vendors offering similar, but this one works for me.  The MSRP on their site is a bit high, but if you are on the West coat somewhere, contact Electroprops for pricing.

That is my 2-cents worth.  It is worth just what you paid for it. 

Cheers Mate,
Dan

----- Original Message -----
From: jmedclay@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:51:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Electric Boats] 48V Lithium Ion EV Batteries





 

I've been looking into the use of lithium ion hybrid car batteries as a replacement for lead acid EV batteries. I keep seeing references to 48V "Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle" technology, like this: http://www.hybridcars.com/bosch-announces-new-48-volt-battery-pack/


I also keep seeing cost predictions/targets of Li-Ion EV batteries, at least in this 48V MHEV format, dropping to essentially the same as lead acid units, on a useful energy availability basis. Apparently they won't need fans and will be in conveniently sized modules.


But I don't yet see any of these 48V MHEV batteries for sale. What I see are astronomically expensive batteries in more familiar formats.


My very cursory look into Li-Ion batteries suggests a mass based energy density of
about 3x that of lead acid. Reducing
my 520# battery bank to 175# is very attractive.


Are any of you familiar with this, or similar, technology? I'm a couple of weeks away from replacing my 8, 6v EV batteries; if the Li-Ion stuff was available at/near the target costs I'd jump, no other technical problems assumed. I have a feeling I'm a few years early.


John Clay





--
Dan Hennis
CTR Services
P.O. Box 254
14237 FR 1155
Cassville, MO  65625-0254
417-396-0228

__._,_.___

Posted by: DAN HENNIS <dhennis@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment