Thursday, March 22, 2018

[Electric Boats] 48V Lithium Ion EV Batteries

 

I've been looking into the use of lithium ion hybrid car batteries as a replacement for lead acid EV batteries. I keep seeing references to 48V "Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle" technology, like this: http://www.hybridcars.com/bosch-announces-new-48-volt-battery-pack/

I also keep seeing cost predictions/targets of Li-Ion EV batteries, at least in this 48V MHEV format, dropping to essentially the same as lead acid units, on a useful energy availability basis. Apparently they won't need fans and will be in conveniently sized modules.

But I don't yet see any of these 48V MHEV batteries for sale. What I see are astronomically expensive batteries in more familiar formats.

My very cursory look into Li-Ion batteries suggests a mass based energy density of about 3x that of lead acid. Reducing my 520# battery bank to 175# is very attractive.

Are any of you familiar with this, or similar, technology? I'm a couple of weeks away from replacing my 8, 6v EV batteries; if the Li-Ion stuff was available at/near the target costs I'd jump, no other technical problems assumed. I have a feeling I'm a few years early.

John Clay

__._,_.___

Posted by: jmedclay@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment