Friday, March 23, 2018

[Electric Boats] Quite the potential project.. but is it feasible?

 

I've learned a lot by lurking, but I'm contemplating a project that is MUCH larger than anything I've seen addressed here, so I thought I'd ask for advice…

Thanks in advance !

Project: 100' and 100 +/- ton canal barge repowering

Current power (broken) diesel engine from 1957, originally rated 116 hp

I'd like to yank that beast and repower with an electric drive.

Velocity requirements are: normally 3-5 knots. Panic mode 10-12 knots.

Assume the end product looks like a battery bank, 1-2kw solar, an autostart genset (possibly a larger and smaller unit?). Autostart based on demand and/or battery voltage… but that's a pretty broad assumption and I'm certainly open to options...

Generally, plan to move <20 miles per day, or maybe as far as the sun will take us. Also, typically don't have to deal with any current (but occasionally, thus panic mode above)

I thought I'd ask about feasibility before I even looked at the costing ;-)

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Thanks!
-Rob

__._,_.___

Posted by: Rob <rob@sail4life.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment