Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Re:Re:[Electric Boats] Re: Battery choices

 

It just occurred to me that I can cut my Auto battery fill costs in half. I was pricing for 2x 48v 100ah banks using 8x 12v batteries. Cutting the Auto Fill system cost in half actually makes the GC2 very appealing. Time for a little more research.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile



-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re:[Electric Boats] Re: Battery choices
From: "Matt mattkaine@hotmail.com [electricboats]"
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
CC:


 

How often are you refilling the batteries? Getting access to fill will be pretty difficult and the cheapest auto watering system for a 48v system I found was close to $400. Which is why I was leaning towards the sealed. I'd really like to use those 190F I know they get used in pretty extreme environments temperature wise, but as you said not sure if they've been used in a mobile situation. The whole reason I was asking for advice.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile



-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Battery choices
From: king_of_neworleans
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
CC:


 

Have you considered 8 6v 220ah GC-2 golf cart batteries? I got mine from Sams Club for $85 each, still going strong going on 4 years. They seem to be a really rugged battery, and the form factor works nicely for me. Much easier to handle than 8D or 4D. I often take mine down to 50% and I had to go down to about 30% a couple of times, but they keep chugging along and no apparent loss of capacity yet. I equalize every 6 months or so with a 62v charge to the whole bank though this year I plan to switch to equalizing individually.

While I am totally unfamiliar with the SBS 190F, I think that a battery designed to be jarred, shaken, stirred, vibrated, bumped, moved, jolted, sloshed and banged as well as very deeply discharged (for flooded lead acid cells, anyway) is likely to be better as a boat battery than something designed to sit in an office and seldom actually be used. Just guessing.

8Ds are popular, and I considered them but decided that golf cart batts were a better bang for the buck, and a lot more convenient. You might also think about L-16 size batteries if you want high capacity. Trojan makes one that is I think 420ah at 6v. (It looks kinda heavy!)



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <mattkaine@...> wrote :

Asking the opinion of the hive, I am about to purchase batteries and trying to decide which option to go with. Money is always a factor so my brain tries to go the cheapest route and sometimes it works, sometimes it bites me. I have 2x options I am looking at right now:

1. 4x PowerSafe SBS190F 190ah 12v batteries for $210ea = $840

2. 4x Apex 8D 255ah for $329.99ec+$310 shipping = $1633


So it boils down to is it worth it to double the cost to gain those extra 47ah? The normal usage for the SBS 190F is UPSs in telecom, do you think they are unsuitable for an electric boat application?

__._,_.___

Posted by: Matt <mattkaine@hotmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment