Saturday, December 23, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] first timer questions

 

You might expect me to say this, but there is no substitute for joining an active association of like minded people. 
We are that group: we have been around since the 1980's and we have members across the planet who are happy to help.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/contact-us.php

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cheers,

Rob Kay
Secretary
Electric Boat Association
104 Stirling Rd, Kilsyth,
G65 0HY
http://www..eboat.org.uk



Home:
Mobile: 0792 2692493
Landline and ansaphone: 01236 823129

On 23 December 2017 at 12:54, robert winfield winfield100@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

these videos may help you get to an answer






On Friday, December 22, 2017, 9:01:07 PM EST, Greg yarman greg.yarman@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

Hi all. I have begun the steps to convert my small fishing boat from an ancient v8 (1978)gas engine to a sweet electric motor. The vessel is a 78' searay 20' long. With its gasoline engine and full fuel tank it weighs around 3,500 lbs. Don't know what it will weigh after the enginectomy and transplant but I'm certain that I'll find that out. So apart from all the usual hundreds of questions that confronts a diy person here is the biggie-  Drivetrain- can the existing stern drive be used to provide propulsion? I get that I don't need the transmission gears since i'll have the electric controller but the sterndrive is also the rudder and the screw so...(don't you just love newbie questions?) I of course don't know what kind of power loss to expect from doing it this way but the motor is a 15 Kw  motor and I certainly won't be pulling any wake boarders in the north pacific ocean (the lost coast 175 mIles north of San Francisco). I've got way too much experien ce with engines of every shape and description-sailboats (deisels), cars,jeeps,power boats from rebuilding, installing, to fabricating new motor mounts,etc. But here's the thing- in the 50+ years of enjoying mechanical things, when I'm to the part of holding the wiring harness in my hands and deciding the order, placement, and connections of that tangle of spaghetti in it's rainbow colors- well let's just say that's it's time for a long coffee break to read that part of the manual again.I'm confident that i'll get thru that park ok but has anyone been in this particular position before? Anyway the boat itself looks to be nearly perfect for my electric swap. The 42 gallon fuel tank in the bilge will come out  and will become the batteries new home. The v8 will come out (yea!) and i'll have enough space for my motor plus new deck space to stand while fishing. Weight and weight distribution are much improved by the new motor and batteries. My thought right now is to fabricate a co upler ( heim joints or ujoints as well) hook the motor to the input shaft of the stern drive and bobs your uncle-off I go. Yes I know that it's going to be a couple months of toil, trouble, mistakes and some money spent but still off I go. So that's the big question for someone who has been down this path before -can I connect an electric motor to a stern drive in a power boat and have it work? BTW the term "power boat" takes on a whole new meaning when it's electric don't you think? Thanks so much for reading this. greg


__._,_.___

Posted by: Rob <rob@paperclip.org.uk>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment