Monday, May 10, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Electric Sailboat Ride

Thanks for the details. 

I have a feathering prop (J Prop) and to get it to feather with the diesel I would shut the motor down in forward, shift to reverse, then back to neutral.   It would then stay feathered in neutral.  If you went from forward to neutral without first going to reverse it would continue to spin.  I am hoping to be able to do the equivalent procedure with the electric to get the prop to feather.  But I will have to take care not to shock the prop in the process.  I will experiment with making it "invisible" which may offer lower drag than feathered due to the relatively large angle of the prop shaft from horizontal in my case (15 deg).  But that will not be an option for racing which I do on a somewhat casual basis. 

The same should be true for a Max Prop but the Autoprop is a different (and very interesting) beast. 

I think that ME 1803 is the motor that Beta Marine is using in their new parallel hybrid system.
https://betamarine.co.uk/he-hybrid-propulsion/

What are you doing for the thrust bearing with the ME1803?

I'll be interested in hearing about your reduction gear experience.   I was planning to start with 3:1 myself.  This is in a Pearson 10M (33'), 13,000 lbs, ME1616 motor, 18" J Prop, 14kWh LiFePo4, 48V.  3:1 will get me a max prop RPM of 800.  I have planned for some flexibility in the drive belt pulley sizing and the prop is variable pitch.  I am deep into fabricating all the mountings for the motor, reduction drive and thrust bearing.  I hope to be on the water in a few weeks. 


Thanks, Dan Pfeiffer

 

On 2021-05-10 2:41 pm, Matt Foley wrote:

Hi Dan,
 
My old motor was a Saietta. Basically identical to the Thoosa. New motor is a Motenergy ME1803. 
 
I don't recall the specs but the Saietta has a thrust bearing that can handle many many times more than thrust generated by the prop. 
 
Yes, prop needs to be locked in place. Havn't put much thought into it. If I was crossing oceans it would be a different story, but my for my  use case, I find myself motor sailing most of the time and if wanted to make the prop invisible it doesn't take much power at all. If I wanted to get fancy, it should be possible lock the shaft electronically through the controller 
 
In a few weeks ill have data for old vs new setup and variations of the new setup. 
 
Matt Foley 
Sunlight Conversions
Perpetual Energy, LLC
201-914-0466
 
 
 
On Monday, May 10, 2021, 02:59:01 PM EDT, Dan Pfeiffer <dan@pfeiffer.net> wrote:
 
 

Do you need to lock the prop shaft to get the Autoprop to feather for sailing?   If so how do you plan to do that? 

What motor is that?  Looks like a Thoosa?  Is there a thrust bearing in the motor?  

Do you have any performance data to share?  Knots vs Watts? 


Thanks, Dan Pfeiffer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment